Monday, December 1, 2008

Writing Essay: A Shrine Sacred to SOYBEAN PASTE








Do you know Miso Tenjin(味噌天神)? Miso Tenjin is a shrine sacred to soybean paste(味噌), and it’s near my house. I want to know about Miso Tenjin and tell everyone about the mysterious shrine, so I decided to write about Miso Tenjin! I’ll talk about history, tradition, and the president Miso Tenjin!

First I’ll talk about the history of Miso Tenjin. Miso Tenjin’s official name is Motomura Shrine. Miso Tenjin built about 1300 ago. When epidemic was raging in 713, Miso Tenjin built to cure epidemic. And then, people enshrined 御祖天神 (Miso Tenjin, god of mysterious medicine), so this shrine was called Miso Tenjin.

Miso Tenjin is the only shrine sacred to soybean paste, then why does Miso Tenjin enshrine soybean paste? Next is traditions of Miso Tenjin. There are some traditions. A long time ago, there was a kokubunji (国分寺, temple in the Nara period). One day a fire broke out in the temple. Then priests put goshintai (ご神体, sacred things) in the soybean paste in order to protect goshintai. After fire, priests looked goshintai in the soybean paste. Goshintai was safe because of soybean paste!! There is another tradition. If soybean paste go rotten, bamboo leaf in Miso Tenjin make rotten soybean paste become delicious!! Do you believe that? I can’t believe, but many people believe it. So, until before the war, people come to Miso Tenjin in order to get bamboo leaf.

Lastly I’ll talk about the president Miso Tenjin. In October 25, the festival is held in Miso Tenjin. There are some events. For example, present soybean paste, taste miso soup, and so on. Miso Tenjin is loved the locals even now!

Miso Tenjin is an old shrine, and there are some mysterious traditions! And people love Miso Tenjin also now. I’m glad that only shrine sacred to soybean is in Kumamoto, and near my house! I think that Miso Tenjin is the secret of Kumamoto. And I guess that there are more traditions about Miso Tenjin, so I want to look into Miso Tenjin!



(358 words)

No comments: